My search as my family's historian & genealogy researcher is to find the missing links, and remember my family and their story.

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Grandma's Handkerchief



For Tears, Sneezes, Colds, and Small Treasures



When I was growing up, my Grandma and all the older ladies carried a small cloth handkerchief usually embroidered in some fashion, sometimes with a lace edging. These southern ladies would always have a handkerchief  handy, either in a pocket, pocketbook, or tucked in their bosom.
You never knew when someone might need to sneeze, their nose wiped, a hand or brow wiped or dried, a tear dried or a handy place to keep money.

When a southern lady got dressed to go somewhere: church, town, a wedding, a funeral, the birth of a baby, and any other emotional event, a handkerchief was a necessity.
 I remember vividly the first time I received some change as a gift. Little girls didn't carry pocketbooks, or have pockets all the time, so I needed somewhere to keep my money. My Grandma took the change and placed it in the corner of the handkerchief and folded it, then tied it in a knot. It was just right for my small hands to keep it, without it getting lost.
Now days, you don't see handkerchiefs like we did years ago. Paper tissues and towels have taken their place for sanitary reasons and no washing and ironing required as when you used a handkerchief.
 Whenever I see a handkerchief, I am transported back in time...back to childhood when such a small piece of cloth held so many memories.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Dawanna this made me go and get my grandmother's handkerchief out! When I got married I requested one from her as my something old. I cherish it! Loved reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some of my Grandmas in storage too, takes me back

    ReplyDelete