My search as my family's historian & genealogy researcher is to find the missing links, and remember my family and their story.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

"They Take After Your Side of the Family"





When I married my husband, I had three little girls that became his children, also.  To our family, we added another daughter and, at last, a son.
When our children were growing up and would do things that were just not what my husband  considered normal, as children always do, my husband would jokingly say, "They take after your side of the family."
It became a joke down through the years that he, joyfully, would joke and say that all of our children took after my side of the family, to me and to our children.  And it gave him so much pleasure to tell others that our children took after my side of the family.
When they were younger, people, who didn't know that the three older daughters were not my husband's by blood, would remark about how much they looked like my husband's sisters. We would just smile and thank them.
 I started work on my family tree several years ago and as I was tracing my roots back, it was then that I decided I should do a family tree on my husband's family, also.  My husband would come in and I would be busy researching and he would comment, as a lot of people in the south do, "You better be careful. You may find out that we are kin to each other." I would just continue my research never thinking that it was possible. We had grown up just a few miles from each other. But, I had never heard of a relative that we had in common.
As I continued my research, I noticed that my husband's side started having relatives in the Thornhill and Beard families.  These were two families that I had ancestors from, too!  When I reached Aaron Beard and Kizziah Carter,  in my husband's family tree, I could not believe it. They were my 5th great grandparents.
 I went back and printed a few generations of my husband's tree and my own, so I could compare them. They turned out to be my husband's 4th great grandparents.
And then, I found that Aaron and Kizziah's sons, Christopher Dyas Beard (my 4th grandfather) and Aaron Moses Beard (my husband's 3rd grandfather) had married Thornhill sisters.
Christopher Dyas had married Mary Ann Thornhill.  Aaron Moses had married Holly Thornhill.
And so their parents, William Elisha Thornhill and Mary Ann Boutwell are our grandparents, in common, on the Thornhill side of the family.
My husband doesn't joke as much since our children have all grown up about how much they take after my side of the family.  But every once in a while, they will do something that he will reply, "You took after your Momma's side of the family." and then he will smile or laugh. The children, laughingly reply, "No, we don't Daddy. We take after your side of the family, too, remember!"

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed your sharing, and thru your research and our research we found each other. That has been a true joy, and have discovered that I am kin to both of you. We have had some good times together and hope to have many more.

    ReplyDelete